Albertsons Safeway is working to become the favorite food and drug retailer in every market it serves. The organization includes 2,230 stores, 27 distribution facilities and 19 manufacturing plants with over 250,000 employees across 34 states and the District of Columbia. The company is privately owned with supermarkets across the country that include: Albertsons, Safeway, Vons, Pavilions, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Carrs, ACME, Jewel-Osco, Lucky, Shaw's, Star Market, Super Saver, United Supermarkets, Market Street and Amigos.
Diversity is fundamental at Safeway. We foster an inclusive working environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee is both recognized and valued. We believe that building successful relationships with our customers and our communities is only possible through the diversity of our people. And a diverse workforce leads to better teamwork and creative thinking, as well as mutual understanding and respect.
The Supply Chain Department has an opening for a Buyer. This position will be located in Tracy, California.
The Buyer, Produce/Floral is responsible for the profitable procurement and timely delivery of products for assigned lines. Works closely with the Produce/Floral Procurement Manager, Produce/Floral Sales Managers, Produce/Floral Operations managers and other Buyers to achieve the goals of the company. Provides supply chain/inventory management for a promotionally active produce desk and corresponding financial accountabilities. Procures product in accordance with all policies and procedures established by the company.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Obtain best possible product quality at competitive pricing at all times.
* Ensure that established policies and procedures are understood and adhered to by all Produce procurement staff.
* Strive to meet or exceed inventory turn goals and service levels.
* Interface with other department heads and division personnel to accomplish job functions. Develop and maintain good working relationships with suppliers, store operations, distribution center and division office personnel.
* Reviews acquisition costs to ensure items purchased are at the lowest cost consistent with considerations of quality, reliability of source, and urgency of need.
* Assesses current inventory, growing conditions, seasonality, promotional activity and logistics situation to determine order quantities.
* Completes Purchase Orders and input using mainframe and iTrade functionality.
* Conducts post-promotional reviews and analysis to determine if promotional requirements were met and if there were problem areas, develops solutions.
* Conducts logistics planning processes while ordering products to attain the best net product price possible.
* Reviews and resolves pre-books received from stores or division personnel prior to purchasing.
* Reviews and analyzes daily and weekly reports to check service levels and inventory turns, makes adjustments as needed.
* Visits stores, as needed, to monitor programs, obtain store feedback and to assess overall implementation effectiveness as needed.
* Approves Accounts Payable variance processes for distribution sourced items to ensure correct prices have been invoiced.
* Maintains necessary files and records.
* Coordinates with Warehouse Operations to maintain the proper product flow through the facility, in a timely manner.
* Remote access (buying system) from home or off site location when necessary.
* Bachelor's degree in Business, Marketing preferred or equivalent work experience.
* Two plus years of Purchasing or Vendor Management experience in the retail industry preferred.
* Retail operations/Marketing experience preferred or strong understanding of store operations and merchandising methodologies and practices.
* Understanding of procurement, logistics and inventory management practices.
* Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, experience in taking initiative and making appropriate decisions.
* Planning and organizing skills.
* Written and verbal communication skills as well as interpersonal skills to develop and maintain effective business relationships within and outside the company.
* Computer aptitude with the ability to use spreadsheet and word-processing software.
* Most work is performed under general office conditions in a temperature controlled environment. Incumbent will use calculators, keyboards, telephones, and other office equipment in the course of the workday.
* Travel Requirements: Less than 10%.
Respond to: Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume by visiting http://hrd.safeway.com/careers/index.htm.
We foster an inclusive working environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee is both recognized and valued. We believe that building successful relationships with our customers and our communities is only possible through the diversity of our people. And a diverse workforce leads to better teamwork and creative thinking, as well as mutual understanding and respect.
We provide employment, training, compensation, promotion and other conditions of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, medical condition, marital status or any other legally protected status.
We support a drug-free workplace -- all applicants offered a position are required to pass a pre-employment drug test before they are hired.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER