Safeway Distribution Center has an opening for a Transportation Supervisor. This position is located in Upper Marlboro, Maryland.
Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Commitment to providing a safe work environment.
• Keep abreast of Federal, State, and Municipal laws and regulation, collective bargaining agreements and company work rules. Regarding operations of trucking equipment
• Ensure DOT compliance
• Implement cost-saving measures through working closely with driver, dispatcher, software
• Teach and train drivers new systems a necessary
• Determine equipment and manpower requirements for daily operational needs
• Supervise and dispatch drivers
• Manager and control daily workload through good dispatching procedures
• Monitor employees daily work assignments
• Maintain employees daily work assignments
• Work with drivers to improve driving skills
• Dispatch and road supervision
Relevant Experience, Education, Certification, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Two year college degree or 5 years progressive trucking experience
• Commercial driver’s license, Class A preferred
• Strong knowledge of Department of Transportation Laws and Regulations
• Knowledge of Safety operating a class 8 tractor and trailer a plus
• Knowledge of XATA driver management and Manugistics trucks routing systems a plus
• Knowledge of inhaul/backhaul procedures
• Familiar with union work environment and time and attendance procedures and requirements
• High degree of initiative and working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Knowledge of Washington cities and Safeway store locations a plus.
Diversity is fundamental at Safeway. We foster an inclusive working environment where the difference strengths and perspectives of each employee os both recognized and valued. We believe that building successful relationships with our customers and our communities is only possible through the diversity of our people. A diverse workforce leads to better teamwork and creative thinking, as well as mutual understanding and respect.
The Safeway policy is to provide employment, training, compensation, promotion and other conditions of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, medical condition, marital status or any other legally protected status.
We support a drug-free workplace-all applicants offered a position are required to pass a pre-employment drug test and background check before they are hired.