PURPOSE: Exemplifies strong customer service in every aspect of the job. Directs and controls the operation of the Drug (General Merchandise) Department, including supervising and training personnel to achieve sales and profit objectives. Provides feedback and recommendations on operational issues and personnel decisions to the Store Director and Division management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Champions Company and Division customer service programs to meet or exceed division customer service goals.
- Responsible for total store operations in the absence of the Store Director (see Store Director job description).
- Plans, organizes and directs day-to-day operations of the Drug Department, including the customer service/lobby areas (in some areas), exercising independent judgment and discretion. Conducts daily inspections of all Drug Department sections and initiates corrective measures to ensure compliance with product quality, code date standards, sanitation, safety and security requirements.
- Implements Company and Division operating and merchandising policies and practices. Controls shrink. Establishes Drug Department operating procedures as required for implementation of Company and Division policies and/or Store Director instructions. Implements emergency procedures in the event of equipment and computer software malfunctions.
- Orders general merchandise product and maintains inventory levels according to Division directives. Supervises the processing of all reclamation. Maintains orderly and in stock conditions in back room and all Drug Department areas, including the customer service/lobby area of the store (in some Divisions). Maintains orderly conditions in the back room and keeps back room inventory to a minimum.
- Supervises receiving, storing, stocking, pricing and merchandising of all general merchandise products. May utilize hand trucks, pallet jacks, compactor and the bailer. Properly accounts for merchandise received. Handles positive associate customer and vendor relations. Engages in suggestive selling and other sales techniques.
- Monitors daily log sheet, purchase report, sales and labor.
- Schedules Drug Department associates appropriately to ensure adequate coverage and service levels. Directs, motivates, trains, and participates in the hiring, transfer and selection of all Drug Department personnel. Ensures that all associates are instructed in the proper performance of work duties and are knowledgeable about Company policies and procedures.
- Monitors associate performance and effectively recommends personnel action such as hiring, firing, layoff and disciplinary action. Resolves associate complaints where appropriate and reports action taken to Store Director. Immediately reports any potential serious policy violations, for matters including but not limited to working off the clock, harassment, food safety and sanitation, discrimination etc. to the Store Director and assists in appropriate handling. Identifies and trains associates with high potential for advancement opportunities.
- Communicates sales goals, department performance and sales opportunities to department associates and other members of management to ensure positive results.
- Answers and responds to incoming calls appropriately. Receives and effectively resolves customer complaints and reports to the Store Director, as appropriate.
- Attends required training and sales meetings.
- Builds and maintains positive associate morale.
- Complies with and ensures compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality concerning associates, store sales, and Company information. Maintains accurate department records.
- Responsible for performing all job duties with honesty and integrity and in compliance with Company policies, practices and procedures.
PHYSICAL AND GENERAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Interfaces with and provide feedback and effective recommendations to Store Director, District Sales Manager or Director of Operations, and Division management teams on operational issues. Interacts effectively with all levels of personnel.
- Requires a retail background with prior management experience related to retail operations. Requires a thorough understanding of overall Company practices, policies and procedures.
- Requires strong written and oral communication skills, good leadership and interpersonal skills, the proven ability to manage people, and the ability to maintain composure in dealing with customers, vendors and co-workers. Basic knowledge of employment laws and workplace practices is required. Interacts effectively with all levels of personnel.
- Must be friendly and courteous. Must take initiative and maintain composure in dealing with customers, co-workers and vendors as well as have the ability to concentrate and deal with interruptions and customer complaints, etc.
- Must identify needs, problems, and opportunities and to make effective short and long term plans and implement them to maximize sales and gross margins. Requires the ability to judge and react to business activity. Requires basic knowledge of every position in the store.
- Requires knowledge of basic math and accounting and computer software. Requires knowledge of and compliance with state, local and federal regulations. Strong business and financial knowledge. Must have extensive working knowledge of profit and loss statements. Must have the knowledge and ability to implement emergency procedures, including equipment and computer software malfunctions.
- Communicates sales goals, department performance and sales opportunities to department associates to ensure positive results.
- Must stand and walk for long periods of time. Must reach, lift, stack and maneuver objects of varying dimensions and weights up to approximately 50 lbs. Must push and pull fully loaded hand trucks and pallet jacks. Mental alertness is necessary to ensure safe and accurate completion of work activities. Requires the ability to be able to cover for various positions throughout the store as required.
- May utilize cleaning supplies and chemicals, and safety cutters.
- Complies with and ensures compliance with Company grooming standards and dress code.
- Occasional travel, including overnight travel, may be required. Will be required to often work nights, weekends and holidays. Scheduled hours will vary. Good attendance is required.
- May occasionally be exposed to temperatures of approximately -20° Fahrenheit, 28° Fahrenheit, 35° Fahrenheit, while handling products in freezers, coolers and display cases and temperatures of up to 400° Fahrenheit while handling products in ovens, hot cases and fryers. Working conditions consist of a temperature controlled store environment. Occasional exposure to outdoor environment with varying temperatures.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by associates assigned to this job classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified.