Albertsons-Safeway Company is one of the largest food and drug retailers with 2,300+ stores. The Albertsons-Safeway family of brands includes some of the most prominent brands in food retailing, with a growing base of loyal shoppers. Thanks to the professionalism, diversity, spirit and friendliness of our people, we have locations across the U.S.
The Information Technology Department has an opening for a Linux Engineer. This position is located in Phoenix, Arizona.
The Linux Engineer position is a highly technical role that requires a thorough understanding of application and database environments. Successful candidates will possess a strong technical knowledge of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), and a solid understanding of VMWare virtualization technologies. The role is responsible for engineering and automating operating platform environments and ensuring they conform to industry and company best-practice standards.
The Linux Engineer uses innovative problem-solving approaches to proactively tackle a broad range of problems and develops recommendations to implement solutions. The role participates in developing new standards and documenting policies to ensure consistent and secure environments. He or she will have the ability to work independently while proactively communicating timely updates within the department, and project teams. Communication skills are crucial for interacting with customers and business partners to influence solutions focused on achieving optimal results.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Engineer, automate, and configure RHEL virtual environments within VMware, leveraging automation and orchestration based software.
- Work with Project Managers, Tech Leads, DBA, Developers and other Engineers to understand project requirements and validate that it conforms with our standards.
- Build and provision servers and systems using automated deployment procedures.
- Provide performance monitoring and tuning during all phases of the project's cycle.
- Investigate and troubleshoot server or system layer issues.
- Configure and deploy systems for Database, Application and/or Web Servers.
- Create complete and thorough documentation.
- Support business and IT customers through ITSM service and change management processes.
- Work as a mentor to fellow engineers
- Bachelor's/College Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or similar area of expertise.
- Minimum 3 years experience with UNIX/Linux systems administration and engineering with an emphasis on RHEL.
- Experience with retail platform engineering infrastructure is highly desirable.
- Experienced in scripting (Unix Shell / PowerCLI / PowerShell / PERL / Python / XML Scripting)
- Strong ability to document process and procedures for team guidelines, project details for support documentation, and remediation validation for audits
- Strong understanding of Service Desk, Incident Management, Problem Management, Change Management, Configuration Management and Computer Operations IT disciplines absolutely preferred.
- Must work well in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and be able to manage multiple tasks, projects, and initiatives all with different priorities at the same time.
- Provides technical guidance on projects.
- Results oriented, willing to take responsibility and accept accountability for action.
- Comfortable with ambiguity as needs change on a regular basis.
- High degree of initiative and sense of urgency.
- Strong interpersonal, communication skills are essential
- Genuine desire to provide superior customer service.
How to Apply: Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume by visiting careersatsafeway.com
Diversity is fundamental at Albertsons-Safeway. We foster an inclusive working environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee is both recognized and valued. We believe that building successful relationships with our customers and our communities is only possible through the diversity of our people. A diverse workforce leads to better teamwork and creative thinking, as well as mutual understanding and respect.
The Albertsons-Safeway policy is to provide employment, training, compensation, promotion and other conditions of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, medical condition, marital status or any other legally protected status.
We support a drug-free workplace -- all applicants offered a position are required to pass a pre-employment drug test before they are hired.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER