A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A BAKER-HELPER
As a Bakers Helper, no one day is ever the same. To be successful in this position, we are looking for someone who shares the passion of baking with our Bakers, strives to provide excellent customer service to our customers, and puts the icing on our delicious fresh baked goods. If this sounds like you, we invite you to join our team today and earn the loyalty and trust of the customers we serve, bringing them back for more.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS**
• Provide high-quality customer service in accordance with Safeway’s customer service standards and policies and procedures.
• Plan daily production.
• Measure flour, sugar, shortening, and other ingredients to prepare batters, dough, fillings, and icings.
• Comply with established Weight and Measures, health and sanitation, and food safety policies, procedures and guidelines.
• Place ingredients into mixing-machine bowl to mix or cook ingredients according to specifications.
• Role, cut, and shape dough and related products preparatory to baking.
• Place dough in pans, molds or on sheets and bake in oven or grill.
• Read and follow recipes and other instructions.
• Prepare cake doughnut batter from packaged mix.
• Prepare frosting, glazing, filling.
• Operate cutters, mixers, fryers, and glazing machinery.
• Use scale to check weights.
• Place product in displays in bakery area.
• Organize and maintain cleanliness of work area.
• Read various sales and production reports.
• Fry/Ice/Glaze/Clean/Bake a variety of breads, rolls, pastries, and donuts.
• Responsible for 85% of cleaning in Bakery Department which include: Production/Backroom, Fryer, Slicer, and Pan Washing.
• Adhere to uniform and grooming policy as defined within company policy.
The following describes the general qualifications and physical, sensory and mental abilities normally associated with performing the essential job functions of this position:**
• Ability to use basic math skills
• Ability to prioritize tasks and follow production schedule
• Ability to operate machinery, tools, and equipment properly and safely
• Ability to bend, lift and grasp pans, bowls, mixers, molds, etc. and their contents, as needed
• Ability to be subject to environmental exposure to extreme temperatures (ovens, coolers, freezer, outdoors, etc.)
• Ability to taste and evaluate products, as needed
• Knowledge of proper food handling procedures and government regulations regarding codes
• Ability to maintain high standards of safety and sanitation within department
• Excellent customer service skills
• Ability to understand and follow instructions, and ability to read, retain and comprehend guidelines, policies and
procedures applicable to the position
• Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to work independently as well as within a large team
• Self-motivated and driven to increase knowledge of Safeway products and share that knowledge with Safeway
• Ability to provide regular and predictable attendance. (Safeway employees may be scheduled to work early
mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays, and schedules may vary on a weekly basis)
• Ability to comply with workplace conduct standards
The following attempts to communicate the traditional physical demands associated with this position:**
Seldom: 1-2 hours, Occasional: 3-4 hours, Frequent: 5-6 hours, Continuous: 7+ hours (Based on an 8 hour work day.)
• Squat/Kneel: Continuous
• Bend/Stoop: Continuous
• Lift/Carry: Occasional lift/carry 1-50 lbs.
• Push/Pull: Occasional, push/pull 50-120 lbs. rolling racks w/product, donut fryer
• Twist/Turn: Frequent
• Grip/Grasp: Frequent
• Reach: Continuous
• Stand/Walk: Continuous
Job duties and responsibilities may vary by location and employees may be assigned duties and responsibilities in addition to
those listed above.
** Safeway is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to compliance with its obligations under all applicable state and
federal laws prohibiting employment discrimination. In keeping with this commitment, Safeway attempts to reasonably
accommodate applicants and employees in accordance with the requirements of the disability discrimination laws. It also invites
individuals with disabilities to participate in a good faith, interactive process to identify reasonable accommodations that can
be made without imposing an undue hardship.
SAFEWAY AND WHY YOU WANT TO JOIN US
Safeway has always been a people-oriented business, and thoughtful people practices remain a core element of our
company’s philosophy. As friendly, enthusiastic individuals who enjoy offering customers an exceptional shopping experience,
we provide world-class customer service each and every day.
Safeway provides a variety of benefits including:
• Great pay
• Flexible schedule
• Opportunities for career development
• Health and welfare benefits for eligible employees
• Leisure time activity discounts
SAFEWAY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER