JOB TITLE: Salad Bar Clerk DEPARTMENT: Produce
Provide prompt, efficient and friendly customer service. Stock, rotate and replenish salad bar and ensure highest quality standards are met. Process deliveries, breaking load down onto stock carts or U-Boats, and transferring to salad bar. Comply with Company policies on freshness dating. Maintain clean work areas by consolidating and organizing product.
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director, Asst. Store Director, Produce/Perishable Manager
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
- Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the associate's designated department or elsewhere in the store. Genuinely thanks each customer and invites them back. Assists customers by: (examples include)
- escorting them to the products they're looking for
- securing products that are out of reach
- loading or unloading heavy items
- making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
- performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
- Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction and a pleasant work environment. Answers the department telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call; including taking product orders.
- Engages in suggestive selling and other sales techniques also anticipates and plans for seasonal selling opportunities.
- Understands and practices proper sanitation procedures and ensures the work area and salad bar is always clean and fresh.
- Processes incoming product deliveries by recording codes on perishable product, verifying product being received; unloading product and moving to designated storage areas according to "5S" standards. Ensures an adequate product supply is ready and on hand and develops or follows a production list. Ensures proper merchandising of product by understanding schematics, merchandising of advertised items, proper signage procedures, and meeting customer demands.
- Anticipates product needs for the salad bar on a daily basis.
- Culls the products in the salad bar; reviews the status and appearance of products for freshness and replenishes and rotates product.
- Cleans salad bar fixture, utensils, food preparation surfaces, floors, doors, walls, and storage areas according to sanitation schedule and standards.
- Removes trash in a timely manner.
- Disassembles and flattens packing boxes and loads disassembled boxes into the baler. Ensures storage space remains organized according to "5S" standards.
- Cuts, trims and wraps fruits and vegetables as necessary.
- Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress. Adheres to all company policies, procedures, Safety and Sanitation regulations, and individual store guidelines.
- Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
- Checks invoices against delivered products and supplies
- Completes all daily bookwork, record keeping, and documentation required by Company, Store Director or Produce/Perishable Manager.
- Monitors temperature of all display and storage units for proper product holding.
- Responsible for proper inventory control through pricing, dating, labeling, stocking, and culling. Ensures that all food is handled in accordance with local health department regulations.
- Protects associates and customers by removing potential hazards from the sales floor in a timely manner.
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS: (These are considered occasional in nature)
- Updates price changes as needed in scales, on shelves and displays.
- Assists in other areas of store as permitted by Collective Bargaining Agreement(s).
- Changes labels and reloads supplies in department.
- Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM JOB: (Physical demands outlined on attached PAR sheet)
- Ability to do simple addition and subtraction; copying figures, counting and recording.
- Possess the ability to understand and follow written, verbal or demonstrated instructions; write identifying information; request supplies orally or in writing.
- Must be able to handle refrigerated levels of temperature, approximately 33 degrees for an extended amount of time.
- Must be able to work shifts varying in length and times, including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Visual requirements include clarity of vision at a distance of more than 20 inches and less than 20 feet with color vision, depth perception and field of vision.
WO R KI NG CONDITIONS:
- This position is exposed to temperature extremes and dampness. There are possible equipment movement hazards, knives and blades, exposure to cleaning chemicals and solvents, as well as product that has been sprayed with insecticides and chemicals. There is significant responsibility to maintain customer service levels and handle multiple priorities. This is a fast paced work environment.
EQUIPMENT USED TO PERFORM JOB:
- Box cutter, pallet jack, Sterilox machine, Garbel, stock cart, knives, label maker, hot wrapping machine, scales, SPA gun, stocking rack, shop vac, trash and cardboard compactors, telephone/intercom.
Has daily contact with co workers, suppliers/vendors and customers.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by associates assigned to this classification;
they are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of a person so classified.
Salad Bar Clerk
Physical Action Requirements *
*All weights and frequencies may vary by season; heights and distances may also vary slightly between stores.